Reading Challenges: a help or a hurt? Do you find that the reading challenges keep you organized and goal-oriented? Or, do you find that as you near the end of a challenge that you’ve failed because you fell short of your original goals? As a result of some reading challenges, I’ve picked up books that I would have otherwise never heard of or picked up; that, frankly, I have loved. Have you experienced the same with challenges? If so, which ones? Do you have favorite reading challenges?
I really liked Caribousmom‘s questions for herself in this meme so I used them as well.
Do I feel stressed if I cannot finish a challenge?
A little. I like to complete what I start, but I’ve started to relax a bit more in this area.
Why do I like reading challenges?
I love challenges. They push me to read books that have long been on my tbr list as well as books I may never have read on my own.
What are my favorite challenges?
My favorite challenge for 2007 was the By the Decade Challenge because I read 18 books from 18 consecutive decades. I was very pleased with that accomplishment. I had really wanted to read some of the classics and I was definitely able to do that in 2007.
In 2008, my favorite challenge was the Canadian I Challenge hosted by John at The Book Mine Set. With all the Atwood, Shields, and other fantastic women Canadian novelists’ books I want to read, I foresee doing this challenge every year for quite a while.
Which Challenges have I completed so far this year?
- Library Reading Challenge — COMPLETE
- Audiobooks Challenge — COMPLETE
- Young Adult Challenge — COMPLETE
- Latin American Reading Challenge — COMPLETE
- Jewish Literature Challenge– COMPLETE
- Book Awards II — COMPLETE
- 1% Well-Read Challenge — COMPLETE
- Japanese Literature Challenge — COMPLETE
Which Challenges am I still working on?
Some of the links below are broken due to my blog crash. I am working to fix them, though. Sorry!
- 100 Shots of Short 6 of 100 (until completed)
- 101 Books in 1001 Days 56/101 (ends 12/28/2010)
- 1% Well-Read Challenge – 1 of 13 (ends 3/31/10)
- Perpetual Challenge Plans for 2009 17 of 42 (ends 12/31/09)
- German Reading Challenge – 1 of 6 (ends 12/31/09)
- Orbis Terrarum Challenge – 9 of 10 (ends 12/31/09)
- Decades Challenge – 7 of 9 (ends 12/31/09)
- Pub Challenge – 5 of 9 (ends 12/31/09)
- A-Z Challenge – 34 of 52 (ends 12/31/09)
- TBR Challenge – 10 of 12 (ends 12/31/09)
- Dewey’s Books Challenge – 2 of 6 (ends 12/31/09))
- 2nds Challenge – 2 of 12 (ends 12/31/09)
- ‘What’s in a Name?’ – 5 of 6 (ends 12/31/09)
- Casual Classics Challenge – 0 of 4 (ends 12/31/09)
- Herding Cats II – 2 of 5 (ends 12/31/09)
- Book Awards III – 0 of 5 (ends 12/1/09)
- Chunkster Challenge – 0 of 3 (ends 11/15/09)
- Countdown Challenge – 41 of 45 (ends 9/9/09)
- Southern Reading Challenge – 0 of 3 (ends 8/15/09)
- Themed Reading Challenge – 2 of 4 (ends 7/31/09)
- Canadian Challenge II – 12 of 13 (ends 7/1/09)